View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 11:26 AM   #12
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
That was pretty cool no pun intended! What I don’t get is I have been freezing plastic water bottles for years to use in my cooler and I have never had one not freeze as is shown in the video….why is that?

Dan
Water generally needs an imperfection to freeze. The best way I've seen it described is that the melting point of water is 32F 0C . The freezing point is less defined. Water can stay in liquid form well below freezing. Water with nuclei in it will freeze at 32F, this is the case for lake water, since there is lots of other stuff other than water there. Clouds are a different matter, clouds can have a lot of super cooled water in them. This becomes a problem for airplanes flying through them as the droplets hit the aircraft, which is or has the nuclei necessary to start the freezing process. This can quickly ice over the airplane ultimately causing an accident.

So to answer your question, your bottled water probably has minerals or microparticles that allow the freezing process to begin, while other bottled waters may not.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote