Thread: Scenic Drives
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #14
SailinAway

One of the prettiest areas of New Hampshire is route 16 from Berlin to Errol through Thirteen-Mile Woods along the Androscoggin River. From Errol (stop at LL Cote outdoor store) you can take route 26 west to Dixville Notch. I have this itinerary in my notes:

"Gorham Rt. 16 through Milan and the beautiful Thirteen Mile Woods to Errol, where you'll turn west on Rt. 26 through Dixville Notch, past the famous Balsams Resort, to Colebrook; this stretch is curvaceous and spectacularly scenic.

"At Colebrook, turn south on Rt. 3 and stop at the Shrine of our Lady of Grace; then continue, following the winding Connecticut River.

"In Groveton, turn east on Rt. 110 to Stark, famous for its picture-perfect covered bridge, and back to Berlin."

Also: Beaver Brook Falls Wayside, 2.4 miles north of Colebrook on Rte 145. The 110' falls are worth seeing. There's a picnic area with short walking paths tp the falls.

Another alternative for the return trip from Dixville Notch is route 26 east through Grafton Notch.

I normally go kayaking and camping for several days in this area, but one beautiful fall day I did the whole tour in one day and really enjoyed it. This is an outdoor tour with few restaurants along the way, so take ample food.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post: