View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #28
Weekend Pundit

Quote:
That's an interesting statement but I'm not so sure of that. Two years ago I had DirecTV with a sat dish. After looking at their streaming service I opted to go that route, which cut my TV bill in 1/3, plus no more paying for boxes, dishes and all that other add on stuff. In it's place I went to DirecTV NOW streaming. Same company same content. The channel lineup was nearly identical. There is I would imagine a significant difference in cost to provide a streaming service over the internet versus conventional satellite service which probably explains the fairly significant price difference.
Content providers cut different deals with the various MSOs and the streaming services. That a number of providers own percentages of some of the streaming services means they can preserve their income streams even as viewership of linear TV continues to drop. Streaming services like DirecTV Now, SlingTV, Hulu, etc. tend to have lower opex than traditional MSOs. It's a different distribution model using different (and cheaper) technology.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote