View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 05:37 AM   #8
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Our journey started with a package with Metrocast, cost a little over $100. Slowly but surely, the price went up. We had extended basic, standard internet, and phone in a package. Package got up to nearly $190 when TDS came into Alton with their fiber service. We signed on for TV / internet/ phone for $120 something, saving about $55 per month, rate guaranteed for 2 yrs.
After 2 years, our monthly bill started to climb and in just over a year, we were up to about $180. Decided to scale back to internet only. Internet cost would have gone to $79, and a huge charge one time to set up a new account number (they are a telephone company that does internet & TV, phone # is account#) . I asked how much to cancel everything, they said $24.95. I said make that effective Friday!
Went back to (now) Atlantic Broadband for $50 and Youtubetv for $50. Also picked up two Rokus and life is good. We have signed into other streaming channels like PBS, Animal Channel, etc.
Lots of sports and old movies. Life is good at half the price.

Dave
When I originally got Metrocast I was planning to get basic cable for the local channels and stream everything else. I have a ROKU box. I found a lot of the streaming stuff was old junk. Plus, juggling all the access between different services made TV like using the computer but harder. Bad for me. Terrible for my less techy wife. PLUS, Metrocast had a 150 GB cap on data streaming. Bummer. I decided to take the easy way out and just get the next step up to the broader package of cable channels. Plus I still could explore the free streaming channels as I wanted or even activate pay streaming when I want to explore. That mix has worked well. Simple, one stop access for TV, with occasional steaming. BUT, as for all others, the price creeps up. Sigh.

I wasn't sure if $90 a month for just cable TV was the going rate. It seems so. I'm not looking to fight a running battle with Atlantic Broadband to knock $10 off my bill for a year or two. Seeing the teaser rates, I was hoping it might be a permanent $20 drop but it doesn't seem likely.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote