View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
WeirsGuard

Default Question, Boardwalk Blues Boy

From childhood through my college years my family spent the summer at the New Hampshire Veteran's Association. We lived in the Sharpshooter's Building each year. Many friends and relatives rented buildings through out the summer and it was an ideal place to grow up, set right in the Weirs.

What always amazed me, and kindled my lifetime interest in History, was the treasure trove of Civil War artifacts contained in each of these buildings. Photographs, artwork, military equipment. Each building had a theme related to the regiments or units that stayed there. In addition, the Headquarters Building had a small upstairs museum containing an eclectic collection of items donated and collected by the veterans over the years. There were several muskets, (Harpers Ferry, 1858's), sabers, uniforms, more photos and atrwork and a stovepipe hat supposedly left behind by Lincoln during his travel East and picked up by a NH man working for the reailroad at the time, who fought in one of the NH Regimants during the war a few years later.

Over the years these items were pillfered or lost to fire. Concerned, my brother and I offered to catalog all the items in the mid 70's so they could be controlled and properly displayed. The Quartermaster at the time was not interested. In fact, he was later found to have sold off some of the items. I remember him even entertaining an offer for one of the Headquarter's cannon proffered by a South Carolina group who were camping on the site to participate in a battle re-enactment on the grounds.

Long story to get my question. Does anyone know what became of all the memorabilia? Has it been consolidated and stored? DO they still ahve teh museum?
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote