View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #42
jimkberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank m. View Post
The problem with the HAWK signal is that despite what they were taught in driver's ed, they don't know that they can go, if safe, at a blinking red.
Thanks for the HAWK info. A quick web search shows the the confusion is pretty well-known and documented. I disagree (politely, of course) with you that the blinking red is the major problem at the Town Docks, though in fairness it does seem to be the one most quoted complaint the literature that I saw.

It appears to me that the main issue here in Meredith is that drivers in a pedestrian-heavy tourist area - in a place that is not familiar to them - will very frequently assume that a brightly-painted crosswalk is a pedestrian right-of-way. Even folks who think that it isn't the case might stop anyway just to be safe - more to avoid a ticket that an accident.

I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that pedestrians have the right of way at the identically painted crosswalks on Main St?

Given the HAWK requirement I suspect we'll just all have to live with it. I do think it seems better than it was.

-jim
jimkberry is offline   Reply With Quote