View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #186
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
I read with interest all the points being taken on both sides of the debate. However, the fact is, the House has passed a speed limit bill. I have to wonder how many legislators have ever even been to the Lake? Rather than beat this issue to death, have people been contacting their state senators? They hold the speed limit bill in their hands. Does anyone know where they stand?
I signed up for NHRBA emails regarding HB162 (and now HB847). At one point, I emailed back and suggested that NHRBA organize a day to invite ALL the legislators for a ride on a performance boat (preferably boats of different lengths), to show them first-hand what 45mph looks and feels like and what 25mph looks like to the driver. Later on, during this past summer, when I ran into an NHRBA officer (from Alton Bay, I believe) and mentioned my suggestion, I was informed that they had attempted to organize something like that but the offer was turned down because the legislators were afraid of the appearance of accepting a "gift" from the performance boat owners. To me, it sounds more like they weren't interested in getting any factual evidence about something they had probably already made up their collective minds about.

Acres Per Second originally posted the photo below and it illustrates a point I haven't seen discussed here as of yet. As you can see from the picture, this boat is not moving very fast, probably headway speed or slightly above (he's certainly not on plane and he's creating very little wake). APS stated in his original post, "Can you see the "driver"? Nor can he see you. " Notice the "bow up" attitude of the boat; at slightly more than headway speed, it's difficult to see over the bow of a 30ft boat. At 25mph, the bow is even higher in the air, making it even more difficult to see what might be ahead of you!! I don't know the specifics of everyone's boat, but I know my own 25ft Baja won't get up on plane at 25mph and even if I pushed to 35mph to get on plane, it won't stay there if I throttle back to 25mph. I spoke with the owner of a 42ft Fountain once and he told me he can barely keep it on plane at 40mph! So if HB847 passes, you've now exchanged one safety hazard for another; you've slowed us down to a "safe" speed but now we can't see where we're going!!! Thanks for blinding me in the pursuit of safety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
Also, interesting that most Alton businesses do not support a speed limit. Ask them ( and Alton residents) if they support a noise limit and they would say "yes" and... you know what?? We have a law regarding noise. Is it enforced?? I can tell you it's very noisy in Alton (maybe cuz it's narrow?) and it certainly isn't just from GFLB. Let's enforce the laws on the books.
If noise is such a problem on the lake, ask your state reps why the state bans switchable exhausts on boats?? When I bought my boat, I inquired about a switchable exhaust but I was told they were outlawed by the state however no reason was offered. Personally, I'd LOVE to have a switchable exhaust so I could quiet the exhaust down when I'm in a crowded environment (docking, etc.) or if I'm out at night and returning to my dock and don't want to bother the neighbors. But, the state bans them, probably only because they're banned for automobiles and trucks!! After all, if they're bad on land, they MUST be bad on the water (just like speed limits are good on land so they MUST be good on the water, no?)!! Perhaps it's time this one small section of law is reviewed and maybe, CHANGED!! If anyone knows WHY switchable exhausts are banned on boats, please let me know because I honestly don't see the logic in that.
Attached Images