View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #166
Lakegeezer

Default Speed Spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Operator inattention, carelessness/reckless operation, excessive speed, and no proper lookout are the primary contributing factors in all reported accidents.

Go ahead and spin that. And please note that 3 of the 4 contributing factors are already against the law on Winni. Only speed is unregulated.

And I never said speed is not the problem, please don't misquote me.
OK BI, here is some spin, per your request. Excessive speed does not mean exceeding 45. The last time I dinged my prop, excessive speed was the cause. I was going 6 when I should have been going 2. Then I could have stopped in time when my look-out saw the rock.

What is your motivation for pushing for a speed-limit rather than against excessive speed? Safe boating demands that speed be related to conditions of the weather, water and traffic. When you use the term "excessive speed" to justify a speed limit, that is spinning the report in an unjustified way. Speed is already regulated in the careless/reckless rules, and that is no spin. Defining 45+ as careless/reckless is what the fight is about. 45 can be too fast - but so can 6.