View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #138
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
An increased number of ANY type of watercraft is going to cause more pollution. Why don't you support a limit on the NUMBER of watercraft (of any type) allowed on the lake?

Since the subject being debated here is about a proposed law, it shouldn't be a surprise that the supporters of the proposed law be asked to prove the need for the legislation. You haven't.

When I provide a forecast, I can't just state what the weather is going to be...I have to support my reasoning behind that forecast. Otherwise, my peers are going to be all over my behind. If others question my reasoning, I can't stand there saying, "Oh, you're making a capital case over the fact that I think the US model is going to verify just because you think the European model is going to verify. Prove that you're right!!!" Guess what happens when that does happen on weather forums? The credibility of the original forecaster is diminished.
If you write a bill that limits the number of boats on the lake I might support it. I would obviously need to read it first. The big question is how do you determine who gets to boat and who doesn't. There are some National Parks that only allow limited numbers of people that have reservations. I don't think that is workable for the lake.

Eventually there will have to be more and more limits to access. Just like there are on Quabin in MA.

However I think the most fair thing is a horsepower limit. Allowing 100 15 HP boat is more reasonable than 1 1,500 HP boat.

I don't need to prove that speed limits are necessary. 236 State Reps already believe that the case for speed limits has been proved.