View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 09:07 AM   #44
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
$5 is the absolute highest fuel has cost in the last twenty years—the average is, what, $3? Significant difference, though it's certainly not clear what the five-year average will be at this point.

Also, I'd be interested to know what it costs to charge those batteries. A friend of mine was looking at the Wrangler 4xe because he could drive to work and back on battery power, but people are saying it's costing ~$3.50 to charge the battery for ~25 miles whereas a gallon of gas at $5 would get just a tad fewer. So, at ~$1.50 for 25 miles, how long would it take to make up the $10k price difference? Something like 30 years!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
I've done the math many times (although not in the last few months) on EV charging vs gasoline. On an apples to apples basis, EV charging is well under half, often only a third, of the price of gas on a per mile basis. Plus no oil changes and dramatically less other maintenance.

Sailin--I'd say if you're close on the battery vs gas expense, then overall the electric mower is cheaper (and also better for the other reasons you've cited). My son has had very good luck with DeWalt battery systems on smaller motors, but he does not have a mower and I think that may be higher priced. Good luck!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post: