View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #53
Skip

Post Bottom line.....DD vs. Lowes

Definitely a lot of different experiences, all appearing to be store dependent.

Lowe's has the best and easiest policy. 10% discount for a verified honorably discharged veteran 24/7/365.

Home Depot continues with their convoluted policy of (at the corporate level) that a honorably discharged veteran only gets an automatic discount (with proof of service) during certain dates of the year.

So why the store to store confusion?

All Home Depot management and most department heads have the authority to offer a customer a 10% discount if that member of management believes it is in the best interest of the store and the customer, with whatever caveat they so choose to add. That would explain the hand written exception with arbitrary $50 limit given ApS.

Case in point: last fall I needed to buy storm windows that were priced comparably and available at my local HD and Lowes. They were special order, but I would still have received by 10% discount automatically at Lowes. However, I was nervous about getting the custom sizes correct and knew the manager at HD could ensure the windows would be ordered correctly. I mentioned to him I was entitled to the 10% veterans discount at Lowes, but not at HD as the applicable dates weren't currently open. He replied "no problem" and that he had the authority to give me a 10% discount for any reason, which he promptly did.

So I believe the confusion comes from the fact that some receive partial of full veteran's discounts at HD, not during the dates specified, because the salesperson is utilizing management's all encompassing 10% policy. Bottom line, when at HD, hope you get a caring and understanding associate that values your business enough to go the extra mile to match Lowes 10% veteran discount policy, as the Rochester HD currently does!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote