View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #37
betterthanbacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8545retfd View Post
New to the forum. Been thinking about it for a while, and this thread hits close to home. I feel I need to respond to a few of the above posts, because I was among the first alarm responders. I need to thank TiltonBB for his answers to some of the suggestions of members. He did it much more tactfully than I would have. So here goes. I am in my 5th decade in the fire service. From a medium size town, to a pretty big city, and finally to a town in the lakes region, so I have a decent amount of experience in many aspects of the fire service. First, the above pictures don't show the big picture. There were 3 houses behind, uphill, and downwind of the fire. I learned later that the first 2 engines used their tank water to protect those houses. the fire coming within 3 ft. of the closest house. Had this happened on Mon., with the stronger winds, all 3 houses would have been lost. Second, a fireboat was requested, but an engine from that dept. was already responding on the first alarm. Due to the distance the boat would had to travel, and then set up, the outcome would have been the same. Third, most of the depts. in the lakes region suffer from severe manpower shortages, especially during the day. Most of the depts. on the first alarm responded with 2 people! One couldn't respond due to no manpower. The drivers stay with their rigs and supply water. That leaves 1 firefighter to work the fire! We are ALWAYS short handed, water relays take time, and manpower to set up. Engines from as far away as Belmont, and Rochester responded on the second alarm, a 25-30 min response time! In my opinion Alton FD did an unbelievable job keeping it to one house. On my arrival, several members from Alton were laid out trying to catch their breath. Now solutions. First, Alton's 29yr. old fire boat is not yet in service due to structural, and mechanical reasons. A new boat that is designed and equipped for the fire rescue service will run 400K+-. Second, most depts. have per diem people, who work 12, or 24 hr. shifts. They get no benefits from their towns other than salary. Some towns only staff 7am-7pm, relying on people to come from home. Some don't staff at all on weekends! Those towns who do have full time staff usually have at best 2-3 on any given shift. So, maybe some of the above members can get their Fire 1 certs., put on some gear, strap on a pack, and walk the walk! Third, $$$. Most depts. are under funded by their towns, so to a few of you, open your wallets, let the dust settle, and make a healthy donation to your dept., or association. I do know that Alton is hopefully looking for a new boat. (Hint, Hint). Finally try to refrain from making comments on pictures, and, or fire operations that you clearly Know nothing about. Over and outK
IMO todays Fire Dept's have got to be the most underrated dept of any municipality, Paid or Volunteer. These men and women are risking their health and lives at any hour of the day. SALUTE to all of those great individuals.
Pull out your wallets and checkbooks and support your local FD
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote