View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #36
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
Excuse my terminology and lack of knowledge in firefighting but......

As an Island property owner and having read this thread, I ask..... other than a garden hose, what means are available for a lakeside home owner to pump water directly from the lake at high volume to at least give us and our neighbors a fighting chance in the event of a fire?

To no fault of the Alton fire dept, a fire on our island could be devastating because of delayed response times to islands.

I feel a gas powered high volume water pump located next to the lake could provide a pretty effective 1st defense for several homes in close proximity. Of course it would need to be maintained/serviced/tested periodically like any other small engine. Each home could have its own length of high volume/high pressure hose with Banjo quick disconnects for quick easy hook up to the supply hose coming from the pump.

Does anyone have knowledge of anything like this being done in the past?

Your thoughts are welcome.
I have a fire pump and hose setup at my island house. Hose is about 150', and reaches both my and my neighbor's houses. Considering it would take the fire boat at least 20 minutes to get to the island, it might just make the difference. There was a gentleman on Cow Island that sold the setups several years ago, but he has passed away.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post: