View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #14
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Don't get me wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I thought I answered it? The value of Mobil 1 is stretching the time between oil changes, in some cases dramatically. A BMW, just for example, can go something like 15,000 miles and 12 months between changes, making synthetic oil a terrific bargain.

Unfortunately, this is difficult for most people of a certain age to believe. So they change it early because they are nervous.

Of course, with something as important as motor oil, people should check their owner's manual--I would not trust the local mechanic or a random internet penpal on this.
The responses have been very helpful- I'm thinking of the parts where it is asked if you can change back-and-forth on "standard" oils v. "synthetic".
I believe the OP stated that he "knew" you can't go back once you switch- is that really true? If so, I may already have made a major mistake.

Does changing more often than generally recommended make any difference?- whether standard or synthetic.

Not being mechanical, or car-centric- there are many pitfalls to dealing with the realms of unknown- like oils, viscositiy, standard, standard-blend and synthetic that make me blink!
This is why I thanked the OP for starting this thread- even though I don't perform the service for my vehicles, I still would like to know as much as I can about what I'm paying for.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote