View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Clarke View Post
One of the best parts of the Speed Limit law is it gives the Marine Patrol the right to stop and search any boat that they believe is going too fast. Pulling over cowboys who seem to be boating reasonably and prudently but are exceeding the speed limit gives the Marine Patrol a good tool to look for BUI. This opportunity protects us all by allowing MP to stop those boats and conduct a safety inspection and sobriety check before the GFBL boat gets close to other boats, docks, swimmers and the general peace loving citizens.
While you are correct that it gives the MP one reason to stop a boat, there are plenty of other reasons they could use, and have used in the past. In fact, the pre-existing law of going too fast for conditions would have been a better reason. To stop a boat for speeding, they would have to be able to prove that the boat was speeding (radar gun). Stopping a boat for going too fast for conditions is very objective. What were the conditions, how fast was the boat travelling etc...all up to the MP officers discretion.

I once got stopped by the MP because they said that someone reported that I violated the 150' rule when I passed by their boat. First of all, it was complete BS, as I was never within 1000 yards of another boat. Secondly, the really shouldn't be able to stop me based on a second-hand account. It should be something that the MP saw himself. But I am OK with that.

I am not sure if MP has the right to stop a boat to perform a safety check without probable cause, but like I said, I am sure they could find a reason, any reason to stop a boat.