View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM   #18
ApS

Arrow Call 911, But Leave Interstate Emergencies to Trained Young Men...

Just at the time it happened here, a woman lost control of her Honda, which leaped a Jersey Barrier, and killed eight construction workers in MD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick52 View Post
Anyone with a conscience would have stopped and offered whatever aid they could reasonable do. 100% they should have been the first 911 call and if they could have checked the driver and any passengers well being then they should have. Unless it put their life at risk...thank God there are those out there that will risk their life to help another but I understand we are not all made that way. Suppose the car caught fire or if there was a toddler/baby in there the could be saved and this person just drove past laughing because the driver deserved it. Cleary he could not HAVE CARED LESS!

I once saw a women driving at high speed zigging and zagging in and out of traffic. She was maybe 1/2 mile ahead when she lost control, hit and skidded sideways across 93. She was an IDIOT...by the time I got to her car there were already 3 cars that stopped to help her. That is what we do in a civil world.

We are not talking about some jerk speeding and getting pulled over and then gloating over it.

Anyway...good samaritans are protected by law...so if you can help

RSA 508:12
New Hampshire's general Good Samaritan law is RSA 508:12, I, Aid at Scene of Emergency or to Victim of Crime. Good Samaritan laws exist in most states and are meant to encourage people who witness emergency situations or crimes to help injured parties or victims. The laws do this by giving immunity from suit for liability that might otherwise be imposed on those bystanders who voluntarily provide help.
This scene is a roll-over. You should approach carrying a fire extinguisher. (I carry one everywhere). I also have "First Responder" credentials for such circumstances; however, this training long-preceded hybrid vehicles (which have a higher incidence of fiery accidents) and the use of NARCAN, in the event of a Fentanyl courier. (Especially now, where half of vehicle crashes involve illegal drugs and alcohol).

FLL didn't have the advantage of a half-mile to observe the calamity. He would have slushy lanes to cross, with the possibiliy of having to back up near high-speed traffic passing in the icy lane.

Sure, pull over on secondary road incidents to help, but don't get in over your head on icy Interstates--where traffic can be traveling at posted summer speed limits. (Or much greater).

From Google:

Quote:
"The important part to remember about being a Good Samaritan is that the laws won't protect you if your actions were reckless or careless in any way. You can still be sued for civil or criminal damages if your help actually made the situation worse or injured the person further."
With an inverted car, the Good Samaritan would release the driver, only to have the driver further injure--or worse--break their neck!

Is FLL of an age capable of safely lowering a stunned occupant weighing, say, 185 pounds?

In today's litigious atmosphere of Morgan & Morgan, Esq., you also won't be protected against allegations of inappropriate behavior...

ETA:

Quote:
NHTSA conducts frontal, side and rollover tests because these types account for the majority of crashes on America's roadways.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings#:~:tex...9;s%20roadways.

Last edited by ApS; 04-03-2023 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Add rollover details conducted since the ascendancy of SUVs...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: