View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
In MA and I assume NH unless you have off peak rates the PowerWalls don’t pay to install. With Net Metering I essentially have an 80% efficient battery now (called the grid). I push 100% of my overage (in summer) to the grid but I only get 80% back. When I need it (in winter). It’s also unlimited capacity and 0 phantom losses. And 0 degradation over time and lifetime guarantee. Oh and it’s also free.

With a PowerWall you get 92% efficiency. limited capacity. Phantom losses. Degradation and 10 year warranty. And they are expensive.

They are good for the grid and there are incentive programs.

Curious what you think your ROI will be.

Personally I don’t think Solar Panels look that bad if installed nicely.
I plan to install Solar in NH and own a Tesla. But it won’t be Tesla shingles nor PowerWalls. What if you need repairs on roof shingles. I might do a ground based system so I can easily remove snow and place they at the most efficient angle and direction.

Note that the most efficient time of year for my solar system is not summer. It’s later spring. Because the panels are cooler. And air can flow under them to keep them cool. How do shingles stay cooler? Maybe Tesla has an answer for this.

I love new tech but I don’t have the guts to use the new solar shingles.

If you do go for it, good luck.
You don't want to mount panels on an old roof, but they are easily removed and reinstalled in the unlikely case you need to repair shingles, and as you'd expect, all decent installers insure you for any damage done during install.

I would not hesitate on the newness on the shingles--they a lot lot simpler than a car
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post: