View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
MeredithMan

Default Talk to an expert....

Congrats on the new boat, Eyeboat!

Certainly not discounting the opinions you will receive here, but I'd highly recommend speaking to an expert on the topic. Watermark is an excellent group of folks and can give you the info u need to make an informed decision, as well has handle the required permitting if you bought one.

I am in a turbulent area and really wanted a boatlift. The Sunstream solar-powered unit is the way to go, IMO. Things to consider:

1) Depth of water at your dock at its lowest point in the fall, vs. the size of the boatlift needed. In my case, I have a 27' boat, which requires a large lift that even all the way down would be above the water level at my dock in the fall. Unfortunately, this was a non-starter for me.

2) Ability to get the lift in and out of the water in the spring and fall. These units are pretty big and heavy. Does your waterfront allow easy access in and out of the water? Do you have a beach or a rock wall? Do you have someone to help you each season or would you outsource it?

3) Cost. They are not cheap. You can usually find a used one through Watermark or the other dock companies, but you are still looking at thousands of dollars, not hundreds.

If you have plenty of depth, plenty of dough, and easy access in and out of the water, a boatlift is a great invention! Good luck in your research and decision!
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote