View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
I have been offered a position, multiple times.
NO THANK YOU.

I do not have the time, I will not be able to do a good job, I can not commit my time.
I also feel people should not be on a board if they can not commit their time. This is not a joke.
I have been on boards, committees etc. you name it. The one thing I will say is that it is not as big a commitment as most people think.

I did 10 years on a board at one complex, Monthly meetings lasting at most 2.5 hours where long enough to get most business taken care of. Every so often something would come up between meetings but honestly not all that often. Now this assumes you have a good management company running the property.

If your association is self managed the time requirement can go up quite drastically.

Now with that said 40K per year is my actually be relatively low depending on the complex... When I was on the board of a 156 unit Garden Style condo complex, which had considerable lawns and shubs, as well as of course plowing in the winter to be done.... The contract was split in too, so that seperate vendors could be hired for each function. Most times however the same contractor got both....

landscaping including mowing was generally 20K-25K per year (this include bark much yearly)... however didn't include re-planting dead shrubs etc. which could add sometime an extra 5K-10K per year, if major replanting was required. (normally I would say the adders where about 2.5K per year, but some years it spiked, these include not only replacing dead orimental trees, and shurbs, but major updates to the landscaping from time to time.)

Snow plowing probably averaged around 30K per year... The contract was usually for around 25K.... and then there where fees, for having to remove snow from the property etc. during bad winters, that could run an extra 10-15K per year......

So if your property is paying 40K per year, and is of any size... your getting what you pay for....

MotorHead, it seems as though you are having some misgivings about your condo complex, if you want to get into more specifics, feel free to PM me so we can be more specific.....