View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Not Kidding

Nobody is kidding you.
The No Anchor Zone is well marked. The markers are submerged and as the water level drops (Oops, is drawn down) the markers appear. Of course, some years the draw down is minimal and nothing is visible. There really aren't many people who want to drop an anchor in the channel going to Lakeport Landing. Again, years ago, there was a Laconia public dock next to the Laconia Water Works. There was even a launch ramp there, and the yacht "Scamp". The city sold the lot/dock to Irwin Marine and the Scamp was scuttled at the north end of Paugus Bay. Different times. The Scamp left us in the late 50's; the lot was sold by the city in the 70's. Diver 1111 has the Scamp located on his list of sunken wrecks. I think it was about 75 feet long. My recollection is that Jim Irwin Sr. owned it, taking it in lieu of fees owed. He then gave it to a local group of Sea Scouts. My memory may be a little off on detail. I was only aboard the Scamp once as a youngster. Sorry for the digression. Nevertheless, don't go swimming, diving, anchoring in the area of the Laconia Water Works intake.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote