View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Bear Islander

Default Accident data on under age 12 operators

As of this time anyone under 16 can operate a power boat 25HP or less in New Hampshire. However in another thread it is announced that Representative Chris Christensen and the Marine Patrol want to remove operator privileges from persons under age 12.

"Rep. Christensen is seeking to close this loophole at the request of the NH Marine Patrol by ensuring that no one under 12 years old can operate any motorized vessel without a certified supervising adult on board. The bill also allows children 12 to 15 to obtain a Safe Boating Certificate in order to operate a boat limited to 25 horsepower or less."

I asked Lt. Tim Dunleavy of the Marine Patrol for data on under age 16 operators. He was kind enough to respond quickly with that data and I owe him my thanks. The accident data is very telling. In the last 6 years 14 and 15 year old operators have been involved in 5 accidents. One of them a fatal accident. During that same period of time operators age 13 and under have had ZERO ACCIDENTS.

This proposed legislation would remove operator privileges from an age group that has had no accidents whatsoever in the entire State of New Hampshire over the last 6 years. It would however allow an age group that is having accidents to retain their operator privileges.

It is more than obvious that the data does not support this legislation. Can anyone tell me why they are targeting an age group with a PERFECT record?

Accidents - Operator Under Age 16
(REPORTABLE ONLY)
2005 0 - -
2006 1 Age 15 PI
2007 2 Age 15 Drowning (fall off PWC)
Age 15 Damage
2008 1 Age 15 PI
2009 1 Age 14 PI
2010 0 - -