View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #138
CanisLupusArctos

Default Crazy winds and drifting snow

Ah yes, the winds on your side of the island would be great to measure! I measured a peak of 33 mph from the NW. The previous day was 31 mph, also NW. Winds from that direction have to come over a quarter-mile of island space (trees, etc.) before reaching my sensors, so I would guess that adding 10 mph would be accurate.

My readings were in the ballbark of Laconia's, but the airfield offers a lot more friction to wind than our water/ice does (hence the reason hurricanes lose windspeed when over land.) The most accurate way to measure might've been to use a radar gun on the blowing snow out on the lake. It looked like it was doing 40-50.

To see daily records that are automatically updated by the weather station, go to http://www.blackcatnh.com/weather/noaamo.txt

That's interesting how the wind packed snow into your sled's openings. I haven't seen that kind of drifting behavior in too many other places other than Mount Washington where I've volunteered a few times in winter. The slightest little draft in a window or a door up there allows snow to come through and form a drift on the inside. It also beats the summit's snowpack into a hard, dense, "wind-pack" that looks rippled and swirly like whipped cream when you take the cover off for the first time. We're seeing that on the lake this year.

Mmmmmm, whipped cream... donuts... D'oH!
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote