View Single Post
Old 12-07-2023, 02:39 PM   #18
NH.Solar

Polly's Pancakes ...a bit of a tourist driven venue, but still in my mind the best possible view to be had in NH and worth every overpriced ever penny spent for a simple pricey breakfast! This is as close to the magnificent views in Switzerland as can be had in the US. If you have never been there be sure to put it on your immediate bucket list.
Before settling in to Polly's for a tasty brunch however be sure to detour up onto the Lovers Lane Loop above Polly's, it is truly breath taking!
Two other nearby ventures would be to go to Harmon's in "downtown" Sugar Hill and to drive uo toward the Sunset Hill House. Harmon's has aged cheddar cheese that is to die for, but way more than you think you should for it will be a treat and all too soon gone. Bring it out for a dinner party and watch how soon its gone!
The road up toward the magnificent Sunset Hill House used to have an absolutely magnificent view, but it was ruined about ten years ago when the lupin fields facing the Notch side were sold off. The Town had a first right of refusal to buy that considerable acerage for about $300K, but foolishly never exercised the option ...and now that wonderful view is forever ruined by new homes. One of them in particular is truly horrendous and looks like a concrete bomb shelter, but I can't blame the new homeowners for their questionable ideas of beauty. The Town of Franconia however was incredibly stupid in letting this debacle happen and will hopefuly learn from the mistake before the rest of this alpine paradise is developed.
I owned a lot on Sunset Hill Road and it was intended to be the site of my final home and resting place, but I sold it immediately when I learned of the the Town of Franconia's error ...and have luckily landed on an even more fortunate bit of paradise in New Hampton.
If you have never taken the short drive up to Franconia or better yet stayed overnight at the Sunset Hill house, make it a priority!