View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #38
CowTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Thanks for your support major....much appreciated from the thousands of hard working people in the industry who are now out of work..
I understand peoples concerns about the virus but there have been no deaths in NH, only 13 mild cases so far..
In 2009 The swine flu hospitalized over 250,000 people and caused over 12,000 deaths and there were no such closing of business', churches and sporting events. Many more people die of the common flu than have died from the coronavirus.
Most people in this business...servers, bartenders, cooks live pretty much week to week and being suddenly out of work is devastating to them.
We are going to pay our staff as long as the money holds out but I still think this was not a wise decision.
I can’t believe the head-in-the-sand attitude. I suggest you spend some time looking at what is going on in Italy, with doctors having to choose which patients have a better chance of survival with ventilators, and being unable to help others dying on cots gasping for breath. Absent drastic measures, we are only a couple weeks behind Italy. And that is from the head of the NIH and Trump’s “face” of the pandemic response. If even Trump can now wrap his head around this, everyone should be able to.

No, there have not been large numbers of deaths in the U.S.... yet. As any epidemiologist will tell you, by the time the death toll starts to rise in a pandemic like this, you have already lost the battle.

This is going to be very painful for the economy, and yes, hourly earners, servers, etc. are the hardest hit. But at least if we act now we can have a chance at mitigating this highly contagious threat.

The flip side of this is that, if drastic mitigation efforts and social distancing are successful at slowing transmission and hopefully ultimately minimizing infections and deaths, we are going to hear how there was “overreaction” and “unnecessary harm to businesses.” The problem with these types of things is that if you’re actually successful on the front end, you won’t know how bad it could have been. Only if you’re unsuccessful will you look back and say that we all should have done more.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CowTimes For This Useful Post: