Thread: Foxy Boats
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
admiral goodie

Default what happened to the Foxy Boats.

Chickie, I maybe able to help re: what happened to the Foxy Boats. The smaller boat, the double ender was converted to steam. The conversion was done at my farthers boat yard in Glendale in the late 50s early 60s. The two old guys who ramroded the deal were George Whitney, he was 93 at the time, he was also the great grandson of Eli Whitney the man who invented the Cotton Gin. The other overseer of the project was a guy named Oscar York. He was younger, only in his mid eighties. He was a steamboat man from Wolfeboro. Had a house on the water with its own railway next to the Goodhue and Hawkins yard. Had 3 or 4 old steamers pulled up in front of the house. Every morning a crowd would gather at the slip where the boat was being outfitted just to watch the show. Two very brilliant boat men each with their own ideas. Capt. John Goodhue oversaw the project. The owner of the boat was Bill Vaiden. He bought the boat from the Wallace family. Some of the facts may be a little blurred for I was only 15 or 16 at the time. The larger of the two boats was in very tough shape and may have been burned one fall day at the yard in Glendale. Every year the guys would burn 6 or 8 old wooden boats that outlived their useful life. That's the best I cad do for you regarding the Foxy Boats. Goodhue Boat Yard in Glendale took care of the Foxy Boats for Capt. Wallace. The old Uncle Sam was stored and serviced there along with many other commercial water craft. The haul-out facility could accommodate boats to 70'. Thats my history lesson for today.
Adm. Goodie
admiral goodie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admiral goodie For This Useful Post: