View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #23
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
- Power stearing fluid, even electric cars have power steering it is just run off an electic pump... electric boat motors would still have to have this.... No coolant in a boat, there will likely still be need to cool the electric engine...
... Drive oil will still be needed if there is any type of gearing....

Electronic power steering uses no fluids so there are no hoses, no pump, no leaks and no maintenance. Also, power comes from the battery and charging system rather than a belt-driven pump, so electric steering requires less horsepower from the engine
This is definitely true for electric cars, and it shows in the maintenance. I've had my Tesla for a bit more than 3 years. I called them on my first anniversary about a PM visit--they said, "Well, if you insist...". Of course, they did virtually nothing. Replaced the tires at 35 or 40K. Now with 50K miles, I think I should bring it in so they can check brakes, but it's kind of humorous to look at their list of PM suggestions.

Overall, I've skipped over 100 times pumping gas, 5 or 10 oil changes, and several other pain in the butt PM visits. It's like maintaining a bicycle.

Concur on the coolant too--there is none. EVs do not even need a grill
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote