View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Can anyone share just a few comments on using planer boards with lead core. I read tons of different things online but I would like Winnipesaukee experience.
I use lead all the time on my boards and it works great. I have Big Jons "otter boats" planer boards and have reels setup with different amounts of lead. You don't want to attach your line clips to the lead core directly so I use a super braid (Stren Sonic Braid) as backer off the lead and clip to that. I have no problem pulling 6 or 7 colors of lead off the planer boards as the water warms up. It does take a number of reels if you want to have inline setups for all depths.

You can also attach multiple lines to each board. I have had as many as three lines on each board. When using multiple lines you just want to make sure your deeper lines are closest to the boat to avoid tangles. That way if you hook a fish on your outermost line it will hopefully go OVER the deeper lines and allow you to land the fish at the boat. It doesn't always happen that way however!!

You will definitely increase your catch rate using planer boards especially early in the season when fish are at or near the surface.

The new micro lead works fantastic on planer boards as it has a lot less drag on the boards.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-14-2016 at 03:17 PM.
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote