View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 01:49 PM   #11
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Unfortunately it is impossible to seriously discuss reducing electricity costs without looking at why they are increasing in the first place. That discussion is absolutely a political discussion and not proper for this site.

The just closed thread started out with in home methods to reduce costs, then naturally started to pick at what the actual causes of the unprecedented increase in costs, which is political. This is not a slam on Don, but these discussions tend to go on one sided for while, when a differing opinion gets introduced the lock comes. It would be nice if the lock came earlier in the cycle, but moderating these forums is not an easy task, I understand this. Those who drift these threads know exactly what they are doing. I bite my tongue here most of the time when these discussions come up, it would be nice if others did too.
It isn't a political discussion. Natural Gas, which is the primary source of electricity for the New England grid is being shipped to Europe because they are paying multiples of what we are willing to pay for it.

The second base load fuel is nuclear... we have a nuclear generator... it is not owned by Eversource... and would require a dramatic upgrade of the transmission lines to bring Unit 2 on-line. That cost is substantial.

We have a coal-fired plant ready to go... it meets all State codes, and was renovated to be beyond any existing or proposed federal codes. But coal is still more expensive than natural gas, so it is not considered an option at this time.

Our hydro is maxed. We use the dams to maintain the lakes at navigational levels for recreation and shore line owners.

Our biomass has grid limits. Upgrading the Coos Loop is rather expensive back when it was discussed years ago... but is now more expensive due to lack of labor and materials.

Our other renewable sources across the New England grid are only supplying 10% of demand... wind at 3.5% and solar at 2.9% as I post. The other renewable sources such as burning garbage or landfill gas make up the rest.

But the grid that moves it from where it is produced to your home... it is in serious structural deficit due to so much building in remote areas.

We all have the option of going off-grid... but none of use really want independence if it cost more.

We all have to live with the facts... even when the facts don't please us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post: