View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 03:16 AM   #12
Dickie B from HB

In 1960 I got a job at Lake Shore Park. The Spanos's had just bought the park from the Jones's, and they needed help, so Wally Rugg, who was managing the park, gave me the job as the garbage man and the ice man. There were two trucks that I drove for that, a 1946 International for picking up the trash, and a 1948 International for the ice. Every morning I would go to the pavilion and take the "46 around the park to empty about 80 trash cans that were spread around the park. There was about 15 empty cans loaded in the back of the truck, so I would fill the cans and take them to the dump which was across from the park on the other side of Rt 11.
Then it was into the other truck and off to Lakeport to the icehouse to load up two three hundred pound blocks of ice to sell to the campers. I got pretty good at cutting ice with the ice ax. I would drive around the park and cut blocks for the campers and load them into their ice boxes. Ice was a penny a pound. The job was a seven day job every week all summer long, but it was a blast.
I had that job for three years.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote