View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
If it's just text "copy then paste and match style".
The white house you mentioned is still there it is owned By Alexa. There is a woodworking shop next to it now. The cottages down the hill and to the left are still there and have not been replaced by maga-mansions. The granite stone pillars are long gone but the boathouse is still *there. The old house was torn down and the lot was split into 2. A house was built behind the boathouse and it is on the Market . This was part of Fitkins property but there are now 6 mansions there. *The small house on the Island called "little Loon" is still there. What you called "first point"is now called Hornets Nest point. The place where you swam (diddle cove) in the little sandy cove was bought by Billings from California and is also on the market. My, how times have changed.
It was part of the Eldrige property. Beaver Island landing is where the Island residents keep their boats. My home is next door and the cabin I spoke about is perched right on the edge of the lake. The story about the good times the boys had is probably true. There was and still is a flagpole in front of the old home and the round ball on top is shot full of bullet holes. I frequently visited the old home before it was torn down and the owner showed me furniture full of buckshot holes and bullet holes over the fireplace. I agree that the beaver channel is hard enough to get through sober never mind being drunk. The old apple orchard is gone and it is being farmed by John Moulton who has the big farm on route 25. I have a picture of the old Halladech orchard sign before it too disappeared.The house on Beaver Island is still there and now owned by Dartmouth College after John Beaver passed away.
There were few homes on Veasey Shore when I built my retirement home there and my taxes were $3600 per year. Since then the taxes have increased steadily up to $15,500 now.Times have certainly changed
I will see if I can post some pictures but I may have to send a couple of E mails to do it.
Hope you found this information interesting and I could not locate the Veasey in Holderness.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote