View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Sunbeam lodge

Default Veasey Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP View Post
Hi:

My family use to rent cottages from Lewis & Gladys Veasey for many years.
Lew use to own all the cottages that where in the cove. They are now all sold off seperatly. Lew & Gladys use to live in the old house on Veasey Road until they sold it and moved down by the lake where the cottages were.
They had 8 cottages all lined around the sandy cove.
At the end of the road there use to be a cottage with a boat house under it and that was always called Fitcans (sp)
Lew told me that the town was going to name the road, Fitcans road, but because his father and mother lived there many years before they agreed to call it Veasey Shore Road.
My mother & father spent thier honeymoon there and got to be good freinds with Lew & Gladys. They where married in July 1933.
The first time I went there I was still inside my mother! So I was told! I don't remember! hahaha
We spent every summer vacation up there until the property was sold and Lew & Gladys moved to the channel between Big and Little Sqam.
I use to visit Lew & Gladys until they both passes away.
They where good freinds and I do miss them!
They told me lots of stories but it would take to long to tell them all.

Have a good day.

CP
Where was the cove and where was the house at the end of Veasey Road. Are you referring to an old house with a great granite stone fireplace that was torn down . The Boathouse is still there and a new home has been built behind it.? My old neighbor mentioned to me that Fitcans (sp) owned the property. I would like to know if you remembered the home and cottages that had a large sign Sunbeam Lodge and about 3 or 4 cabins on the property. I have the sign and hang it on A cottage that is perched right on the lake . The cottage is the last one that was part of the original property'
My neighbor Frank, who has since passed away, said that William Ben Ames used to write in the cabin and wrote the script for a movie there. Was the Beaver Island landing there when you visited the area? I would be most interested in any stories or details about the area that you could remember and I will see if I can relate them to the current neighborhood.
Thanks for the information.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote