View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 05:12 AM   #36
Skip

Post Your certificate is your license...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
...Unlike a license, a certificate is just that, a certificate that you accomplished something. A license is different. The NH Boating regulations require a certificate stating that you have successfully completed a NASBLA approved boating course/test...I did look at RSA 541-A and I didn't see anything regarding the revokation of an individual certificate. I did see a way to revoke agency certficates or so I think. Granted I did not read the entire RSA but if you would be so kind as to show me how NH can revoked an individual certificate of accomplishment?...
In New Hampshire, like a number of other States, in order to operate a motorized watercraft with HP in excess of 25 HP you must posess the NASBLA approved Safety Certificate. If you do not posess such a certificate you cannot operate such watercraft. By virtue of the fact that posession of such certificate is mandated by the State, the certificate is in effect your "license and privilege" to operate as mandated by the State. The word "license" does not have to appear to make a document or certificate meet the legal definition of license.

As previously mentioned in the above mentioned RSA, the State has the authority to revoke the issued lifetime certificate by following adjudication defined in RSA 541-A. If you go to RSA 541-A you will find the guidelines defining adjudicatory procedures for the necesary hearing defined in RSA 541-A:30 and several following paragraphs.

Synopsis? While the document issued to the boater in New Hampshire is indeeed a certificate, the mandatory requirement of posession of that certificate to operate certain watercraft make that certificate by law a license to operate, and therefore an item that is issued and hence can be revoked or suspended by the issuing authority.