View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #21
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I guess all of the Forum tough guys can make light of significant criminal activity on the WOW trail. As stated previously, the WOW Trail is an avenue of egress for criminals. The City has published the number of incidents (calls) for the WOW Trail, something like 150 incidents over a six-year period. This number does not include the number of homeless people living in camps off of the WOW Trail that require evacuation from time-to-time. You may find this de minimus, but I find it very disturbing. I don't want to live in a community that tolerates or is immune to criminal behavior. I guess I can't be too surprised given the investment in Section 8 housing and in rehab centers.

Laconia is changing, and not for the better. A murder on Blueberry Lane (as a kid I knew to stay away from there so I guess it has always been a bad place) and Pleasant Street closed of to search for the murderer, who is still at large. Pleasant Street was a place where all of the rich folk lived. Not now, I guess.

If you spend any time downtown, you notice it, scraggly young men roaming around in backpacks. It is not a safe place.
Major: I have always disagreed with you on this issue. I own commercial property in downtown Laconia and also travel the WOW trail and conditions have definitely improved over the past few years.

It is my contention that the crime rate regarding the trail is greatly exaggerated and has nothing at all to do with the atual trail itself.

Similar incidents existed along the rail tracks long before the trail existed. As with any "city" it is always more dangerous to travel alone at night and wee hours of the morning along any path. Be vigilant, travel during the day and with a partner if possible and all should be fine.
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post: