View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 05:11 AM   #37
jeffk

Rehab is a option. But in the personal experience I had, the person went through over 15 rehab experiences of all sorts, mental health and drug addiction, inpatient and outpatient, medications, over 10 years. Lots of counseling as well. While they provided a place of stabilization and safety, they didn't "work"; the problems repeated. Now the person is "stable" but not "cured". I would say there is less likelihood of a recurrence but the person is vulnerable. Further, I would say I do not credit any of the therapy and support as getting the person to this point beyond the fact that they did provide the "stabilization and safety" at times to allow the person to move through life until the person reached a point of self readiness to be more stable.

Consider trying to get repair work done on your car for 10 years and the many "mechanics" working on it could NOT get it to run right. Would you consider that mechanics in general knew what they were doing? I could agree that the car might have some internal flaw that no mechanic could fix. But the good mechanic should KNOW that and tell you to ditch the car (not possible with a person). You should at least know what you are dealing with. Some of the inherent nature of medicine, confident diagnosis and treatment, simply doesn't apply with addition. Doctors don't know what what exactly they are doing and can't predict how an individual patient will respond.

For drug addiction/mental health issues, I consider our current system a sophisticated but flawed babysitting system trying to keep the baby safe until some "maturity" happens. Some NEVER mature. The system doesn't make the baby mature. It's a frustrating second childhood in which much of the support/legal landscape simply does not work well and unfortunately many babies do not survive.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post: