View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #42
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
I have recently, and unfortunately, have had a wakeboard boat going back and forth in front of my camp doing the "surf" thing. They are going pretty damn close to 6 MPH and are throwing up a tremendous wake that causes havoc when it hits shore. These waves toss my 22' boat around like a cork. My point is, 6 MPH does not necessarily equate to a small wake.
Also, here's a way to pass through the weirs channel during the spring flow at about 6 MPH (relative to the land and as observed via GPS). Say the water is flowing through the channel at 10 MPH. Approach the channel and as you get into the current, reverse direction, facing into the current. Maintain headway speed of 4 MPH or so relative to the water into the current while actually going backwards through the channel at 6 MPH relative to the land and GPS readings. Just be careful of the boats passing you doing 16 MPH relative to the land and GPS.
On the worst day the current in the weirs never exceeds 2 or 3 mph, in fact I don't think it exceeds 2 myself. You don't need to change your speed at all to maintain headway, either way, in that current.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote