View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par Four View Post
Thanks for the comments and perspectives.

First things first I'll get my existing trailer, bearings and brake setup evaluated and adjusted if needed.

From there I can see what if anything may make sense to do next.

This year I have a very capable tow vehicle, and it has an electric trailer brake controller already in it, so that may open up some options.

Tnx again.
Good luck. I agree with what many have said, you are only towing 4K and if it isn't being used all the time then weigh the cost verses the return.
I use both surge and electric and agree nothing beats the adjustable electric trailer brakes on my dump trailer. Also even though mine are electric they are also still drum as are every work trailer I own.
One of the things that does come to mind about switching to disc is more maintenance. Joe said that unless you are using the trailer often then you run the risk of having brake failure from the pistons sticking from lack of use.
My wife's boat trailer is surge disk and it went in for this very reason. One of the brakes locked up when she was bringing the boat down to launch. The trailer is used twice a year and Joes reply when asked what happened was just that it sits unused all year so parts tend to freeze up or rust in place.