View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Blue Thunder

Default I think you are mixed up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par Four View Post
Ah ha, the lightbulb finally just came on. This was something I misunderstood in my earlier reading. Then it would be electrically activated disc brakes then that retain their stopping ability when in reverse, not surge disc brakes which need to defeat the surge activation when in reverse.

Tnx for the reply and the pointer to the West Marine kit. I'll be sure to check them out.
My disc trailer brakes are surge brakes and they work tremendously. As stated earlier, you really "feel" the brakes when they are activated. What he was trying to say is there is a solenoid on the trailer that is electrically activated when you put the tow vehicle in reverse. This solenoid prevents the flow of brake fluid to the calipers in the event that you are backing up and the surge master cylinder on the tongue engages which makes backing up very difficult sometimes locking the tires up. This solenoid works off the backup light circuit and requires a 5 way plug on the trailer, not the traditional 4 way. In my case, this system is flawless. (Four Winns trailer)

BT