View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Par Four

Default Trailer brakes - disc vs drum?

Just wondering what the group here uses for trailer brakes? I know there are a wide variety of boats/crafts, therefore a variety of solutions.

My situation is an older (slightly heavier) 21' bow rider on a pretty stout roller trailer rated for 4000-lbs and it has drum brakes.

I think the drum brakes have served me well enough, although for nearly a decade I've really only needed to move from dry storage to a ramp that is only about 1-mile away. This year I plan to not only be back out on the lake ( I'll be the guy with the biggest smile!) but I intend to trailer around New England a little bit as well.

I have zero intent for any severe duty braking by any means, but I do want to evaluate upgrade alternatives, all things being equal?

I think I understand the advantages of disc brakes to be: simpler mechanism, stronger braking, easier adjustment/maintenance and braking ability while in reverse.

Any items I missed?

I will also ask the the folks around the lake who sell/repair trailers, but I wanted to ask here also.

Tnx
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote