View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 05:44 AM   #25
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Common Sense

Like many have said, thank you Don for your patience.

For this post I am setting aside the debate about the need for a speed limit. Enhanced enforcement of existing laws vs speed limits has been debated ad nauseum and became counter-productive.

Despite what some people on this forum surmise, I believe most SL opponents don't really oppose speed limits, myself especially included. My opposition has been to this type of arbitrary SL, one that does not take into account your location on the lake. It is like setting a single roadway limit to 55- 55 on 93, 55 on Main Street.

Let's determine realistic limits. Our home base on the lake is the States Landing area (almost Lee's Mill). 45 daytime is too fast from Lee's Mills until you get out into Moultonborough Bay. 35 would make more sense, where 65 would make more sense in the broads.

I think we all have to realize there is a time and place for all of the activities on the lake. Fast boating does not belong in all areas on the lake- it is unsafe during the busy summer months. Fast boating does belong in some. Likewise, canoeing in the broads isn't safe either (even without a single boat on it- most breezy days).

Speed limits are not a panacea, they may become another tool in the MP's tool box. Our regulations really need to come from within:

Don't boat fast where it is unsafe to do so.
Don't run straight pipes.
Don't swim or canoe in the broads
Don't ride around with your stereo booming
Don't run your big cruiser at max wake speed
Enjoy and share the lake while using common sense, realizing it is a busy place and not everyone shares your interests and passions.

Stay safe out there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post: