View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #22
SOB

Default Data

I am glad to see this debate put to bed for now as it just stirs up emotion and irrational comments/thoughts. I tend to not get involved for that very reason. I am a Engineer and also a Manager for a very large computer company. Needless to say we make decisions based on data. If we need to change our process or way of doing business we use data.

So looking at the US Coast Guard "Recreational Boating Statistics" for 2008, here is what I see:

TOP TEN KNOWN PRIMARY CONTRIBUTING FACTORS OF ACCIDENTS

1 Careless/Reckless Operation
2 Operator Inattention
3 No Proper Lookout
4 Operator Inexperience
5 Passenger/Skier Behavior
6 Machinery Failure
7 Excessive Speed
8 Alcohol Use
9 Weather
10 Force of Wave/Wake

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...stics_2008.pdf

So if I look at this piece of the data, we should be passing laws for education and training. We should be passing laws for stricter fines/enforcement on people doing "dumb things", aka Captain Boneheads. Even machinery failure is ahead of Excessive Speed, so even a law in regard to boat inspections would make more sense.

The report is interesting to read, and I know it was referenced before on this forum, take a look at it.

Another Interesting one was number of vessels involved in accidents by speed at time of accident:

Not Moving - 917
Under 10 mph - 1522
10 to 20 mph - 1064
21 to 40 mph - 970
Over 40 mph - 176

With all that said, what do I think about the Speed limit?? I think it will be another law that won't be enforced. It's another law that won't prevent an accident. It is another waste of taxpayer's money, and the states resources. It is terrible when someone gets hurt on the lake, but guess what it is going to happen.

Like all very political movements, the reasoning or propaganda that is put on the posterboard is not the real reason why the proponents want the specific law passed. That is the nature of politics for thousands of years.

In closing, my point of view, as it was several years ago:

Put the resources towards the MP enforcing the 150 ' rule. if everyone is 150' feet apart then they won't hit each other. It also makes everyone slow down in narrow areas where 150 feet apart isn't possible. In general it goes after the Captain Boneheads, that make boating unsafe and less enjoyable.

If I see a 30+ foot speedboat 1/2 mile away moving at 80, 90 mph, somehow that doesn't really pose any danger to me. If said boat is 60 feet away at 80 mph then yes write him or her a ticket.

Have a good holiday season everyone!!

SOB
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SOB For This Useful Post: