View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Old story

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I have no experience with this in particular but I do know that in my 40+ years of working on cars the existing wiring harness generally has the provisions built in for all possible options and often it's just a matter of plugging it in. Even my 1990 jeep has the wires under the dash for the rear window wiper, washer and heater as well as wires for a/c even though it does not have hard top or a/c. Having said that the factory VW version might be the best and least intrusive way to go.

It would also be worth researching on some VW ower forums to see if it's possible to get the parts for DIY or at least specific feedback

Here's one, there are lots of them https://www.vwforum.com/

$181 for the base kit from VW

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...3CN065760.html
So Webmaster says almost $700 for dealer install. Kit just under $200. So about $500 for labor. Seems like a lot. But it reminds me of a story from years ago.

A couple had an electric dryer that suddenly stopped working. They called a repairman, telling him they were in the middle of doing laundry. When he got there, he pushed the start button and nothing. He then went to the fuse box, and found the dryer's "buss" fuse, removed it, and put a new one in. (Fuses, told you it was old) It was back to the dryer, pushed the start button, and voila, the dryer was up and running. The repairman gave them a bill "Got dryer working $110." . The couple were shocked at the high cost and asked for an itemized receipt. Here's what he gave them: "Fuse $10. Knowing how to pull and replace fuse $100. Total due $110.

Sometimes it can be better to deal with dealer for piece of mind, not hubby's, the wife. Happy wife, happy life.

Dave