View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #15
Nadia

Mr. V I'm glad you mentioned what you did. There has been major confusion regarding methadone's uses that causes people to come to invalid conclusions. It is used to treat heroin addiction as well as addiction to other opiod narcotics, and is also prescribed in tablet form as a long acting pain medication to those who suffer from chronic pain. There have been 8 deaths in the City of Laconia directly attributed to methadone toxicity or it's mixture with other narcotics. It is a drug that does not mix well with several other RX & OTC medications and alcohol. I'm almost sure all of the deaths were attributed to the tablet form of the drug being used by those to whom it was not prescribed. In the clinical setting patients are given a daily dose of liquid methadone which puts a halt on the ability to sell the medicine to others, although it is still possible. After meeting rigid guidelines set by the State and Fed's patients are allowed "take home or carry off" supplies of the drug. This may increase the sale of methadone on the streets but I think it is safe to draw the conclusion that many deaths are the result of the medicine being diverted, and not a direct fault of the clinic's.

AC2717 I used to live in South Boston when I was younger. I do not remember the area's you are making reference to but what I do remember is the guys always selling roses or washing your windshields in traffic. I was too young to understand why they were doing it but that statement brought back so many memories! Now I know what they're up to! The picture you drew was not a desirable one, hopefully the police intervention will prohibit this activity, that is horrible. Another thing Mr. V mentioned is these places do tend to attract "riff-raff". They may not be seeking treatment themselves, but this is a great place for drug dealers to hang out and increase sales unfortunately. The police patrol is a great deterance for most drug dealers as police attention could hurt their future sales!

Irish Mist there was a very interesting picture in the Laconia Daily Sun approximately one month ago. A woman had placed a large, handmade sign outside her home on North Main Street displaying "NO METH CLINIC". I do not think the surrounding residents are very happy. In fact I have not heard anyone so far who is total support. Most are either opposed or in the middle.

IShoot308 you bring up a very good question, and I would like to see those statistics as well. After this I intend to Google and see what the numbers really say. Although I did see a woman on the news from New Hampshire (Southern) who stated she had all the thanks she could give to her local clinic, her exact words were "If it were not for these clinics I would still be addicted to pain medicine and stuck in the putrid cycle of addiction". If anyone has any statistics please post. I have a family member who was not successful with this treatment but then again he was not successful with anything at all. The desire to clean his act up is not there, and that's important.

It is my observance that many people become addicted to the pain medications that are prescribed to them. It has gone completely awry. I work in a local pharmacy as a technician and some of the behavior I observe from patients being treated with these types of drugs is problematic to say the least. I really don't think these drugs are worth their side effects, and I think the ratio of people who become addicted to them and the problems that result render them more of a problem then a solution.

Channel Pilot I posted a summation of various newspaper/online articles that I have read without any opinion integrated whatsoever. I did not imply that Shanna Saunders was at fault or could/should have prevented this. I think this conversation is a little too complex for you to understand

Seaplane Pilot how are you? And the lovely Misses? Please tell her I said hello! I haven't seen/spoken in so long! Thank you to you and M/V Bear II as well.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote