View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 05:34 AM   #10
ApS

Wink I Sell a Lot of Stuff on Craigslist—and Have Been Known to "Get Reasonable"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
My experience with used trailers is that they hold their value, sell for about as much as a new one and almost always need new tires anyway so add another $150 or so to the cost.
Depends.

1) Trailers stored (or used) near salt can rust to destruction. I inquired what my neighbor was going to do with his "used-up" Continental boat trailer, and was told it was going to the dump. (Which would cost him money). I volunteered to manually drag it off his property and try to sell it. I sold it within a week for $75. I asked what the new owner was going to do with this awful trailer with bad tires. He said he needed to move his boat (nearby, in a canal) across the street!

OK—made sense!

2) A rusty trailer came with a sailboat, which I towed 2000 miles to my Wolfeboro property—where the single axle broke in half. I sold that trailer to a knowledgeable buyer for $100 in 1993.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
That is just what I was looking for but they are asking $1000. The one in the picture I posted is $949 new at Tractor Supply and 150 miles closer to home. Thanks for all the suggestions. Someone at work told me the trailers at Tractor Supply are on sale occasionally. Unless something pops up it may be best to wait for the sale and get a brand new one (with brand new tires!).
Tires sold with new trailers are often not very good quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfVmnnRkjE

I'd ask that CL seller what year his tires are. (Probably won't know, but they also might be two new $150 tires).

Ask if he'd deliver it (150 miles) for $100. (If desperate, maybe he would, as he's now got two trailers crowding his space).

But maybe not, as the tires may be original—cracked, cupped, and leaky.

If you don't need his many specialized accessories—which are making that trailer expensive—let him keep them, and make an offer...depending on his answers. Yours may be his only offer in weeks. Call back after two weeks—by then, he may have come around to your way of thinking.