View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #70
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Normally don't care..said that earlier in this thread

However, yesterday we were at anchor inside Sandy Pt, to the Rte 11 side of the entrance to Sandy Pts protected cover where all the docks are. It was a little boat rough, but we were protected from the gale that was blowing down the bay.

We sat there for a while, with my wife and sister on board, when a gentleman piloting a 25 ft or so bowrider came up on our starboard side towing a tube with two kids on it, made a left turn across our bow and proceeded to head back down our port side toward the end of the bay. The resulting cross wake almost swamped the bow of our 25 ft Mariah. We said thank goodness he is gone, or words to that effect. After a few minutes, he returned and did the same thing. I stood up and glared at him, but got no response because he was more involved in watching his kids have fun on the tube than what his wake was doing to us. Again, nearly swamped. Once again, a few minutes passed and he did it again. This time, we did take a little water over the bow. I yelled and put my hands out to my side as if to say "What the heck" and he returned the gesture. I think the lady that was riding with him as a spotter may have said something to him, as he did not use us as a turning buoy again.

I didn't have a problem with him being 50-75 feet away passing my boat to starboard, nor did I have a problem with him passing my boat to port that close or perhaps even a bit closer. My problem was the tight turn he made across my bow, and the resulting wakes meeting right at my bow. Under way, my boat would handle that no problem. With the anchor tying the bow down made for an interesting ride. Fortunately, we only took a little over the bow, most of which went down into the anchor storage and behind the front seat in the bowrider. Only a little made it to the floor.

What bothered me the most was that there was no need of him being that close to me in the first place....there was all sorts of room to my right, out towards the open part of the bay.