View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
Newbiesaukee

Although not directly asked for, I have several professional pieces of advice.

1. For any significant medical surgical problems, I would get at least a second opinon.

2. Regardless of what the surgeon tells you about WHEN you will be able to walk, drive, etc., double that estimate of time. It is not that surgeons try to be dishonest, they just have an optimistic rather than a realistic point of view on the simple kind of question such as when "When will I feel normal?"

3. Ask whatever you feel is important, and if you are not comfortable with the answer, go to a different physician. Exception: if you have a very rare condition and only a few physicians have experience with it, then accept a less than nice personality for competence.

4. Ask the surgeon " If you had my problem, who and where would you go for the surgery?" Also ask " If I get a second opinion, what might I be told that would be different from what you are proposing?" The answers might surprise you (or not); but , at the least, will give you a little more insight into the physician.

5. Ask about who you will see for followup care and when?

6. A forum such as this is OK for a beginning, but you usually get specifics on those with bad experiences. The same goes for the internet. However, the internet is useful if you KNOW what you have. Do not diagnose yourself on the internet. You can get an idea of the different techniques for hip replacement if you read reliable websites. DO NOT go into the surgeon's office with reams of internet printouts.

7. The experiences of friends, friends of friends and their friends are not a great way to select medical care, regardless of how well meaning the advice is.

8. Feel free to ignore any of this advice; there are always exceptions to the above. As I said, the internet, including the Forum, is not always the best place to seek medical advice.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote