View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 04:41 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default .... jon boats and rowing

I have an 11' jon boat, made by Lund, that I bought used for $400, with the flat bottom and square design, and it rows very well. When seated for rowing in the center seat, it is very stable, and can float about, like a fishing bobber, and handle motorboat wakes two to three feet high. It weighs about 70-lbs, all aluminum, has flotation foam under the three seats in case it gets flipped, (it has never flipped, not even once) and rows super-duper with oars 7' long. For best leverage and rowing speed, you want to get the longest wood oars that will fit. I like the pinned oar locks, with the pin going through the wood oar, which seem to make it a lot easier to row because the oar is held in the best rowing position without doing any feathering.

An electric trolling motor can be locked into the straight ahead position, and steering can be done with the oars, by using one oar somewhat like a rudder, and the heavy battery positioned in the center of the boat. An electric trolling motor on the stern totally changes the boat use or operation....as opposed to no motor and two oars. Probably best to start out with just two long oars, and experience the rowing before adding a motor. Rowing is exercise.

Suggest you remove the two swivel seats, remove the two motors and two batteries, remove the gas tank, and just go with two long wood oars, painted white for visibility. Rowing teaches a lot about wind, waves, and boating.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-10-2017 at 05:57 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote