View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 04:00 AM   #9
ApS

Arrow A Trolling Motor as Primary Power...

There's a lot to consider with electric trolling motors. With our family situation, we've got four electric trolling motors kept in our crawl space! Five motors, except I've shortened one shaft for the canoe. (After keeping track of wires, easy for the home-handyman).

When selecting a motor for the canoe, I reach for the smallest one, which has the shortest shaft. (Photo below). It's light, gives the longest range, and moves the rowboat right along. Funny—that large bass will swim out to "challenge" the submerged lower unit!

When keeping the tiller's height reasonable for an adult, the long-shaft motor finds every rock with its propeller—and tips the canoe alarmingly when turned.

Batteries are expensive (nowadays), and often don't have the range expected when only two years old. 'Never experimented with a wind-charger, but that might be fun. When at the dock, a solar charger would reduce exposure to house current near water—a hazard.

Charging batteries slowly extends their lives. A "trickle-charger" ($10) uses house current, and will recharge about 60% overnight. It's almost too much charge for over-winter. A battery depleted of its charge will freeze. Don't store them on metal shelves. Don't allow any metal or metal jewelry to cross the terminals. When using a trickle-charger over winter, check the electrolyte level once a month. Add only distilled water.

"Deep-Cycle" batteries are made for boat applications. Is that what you're getting in the deal? Is there a hand-truck offered to move the batteries around? To save on damage to clothes, invest in a battery carrier ($10). Check with Consumer Reports to find the best value in a new battery purchase.

Jon-boats, which I associate with quiet bayous, are poorly suited to open water. Did you happen to see the rescuing Jon-boat after Hurricane Harvey with the 90-HP outboard?

Jon-boats have more "windage" than canoes, so you'll get even less range: passengers also affect range. I've always used two batteries: one to get "out", the other to return to the dock (and the charger). You'll need oars as a backup.

As for "value" in this purchase, can you sell the trailer and one motor? Storing a trailer is a nuisance. Not sure about a fire extinguisher requirement, but they're cheap, and a good idea anyway.

The learning curve for outboards is shallower, but for a youngster, there's more hazard with gasoline.

BTW: Water clarity at Ice-Out is astonishing: the rocks pictured are about 15 feet down.

Attached Images