View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #83
Winniboater81

The issue with Bike Week now is the police. I live in walking distance of the Weirs and it is a cluster during bike week. Has anyone been to Sturgis? They let you walk around with beers outside, go from bar to bar, shop to shop. The few cops they have there are on horseback, and are very friendly. They dont just stand there starring at the bikers, with their arms crossed, trying to intimidate. They smile, talk to the people, and if somone is getting too rowdy, they ask them to chill out a bit. Asking gets you alot further than telling. Now I know most cops try to be robo-cops (since they were geeks in high school), and a badge and gun makes them feel powerful. But they are hurting themselves as well, when bike week is done and gone. They will be crying about the overtime.

I spend alot of time at the Broken Spoke during bike week, and the rest of the summer. Alot of people did not go down there because Sat night they had 11 state police cars lined up out front....11!! With at least 20 State Troopers starring at the bikers with arms crossed trying to intimidate them.

If the police eased up a bit, they wouldnt see as many issues as they think. Look at the old days, two to three times as many people showed up, and there were never as many cops as there are now.

Bike week was not, and is not, intended to be a "family event". If your dumb enough to bring your child to bike week then shame on you. Go do something else that is geared towards children.

All in all bike week will be gone in less than 10 years. Vendors wont show up, people wont show up, and the cops will be crying cause they dont get the OT.
For the people that want to come vacation up here, and crab about bike week, dont come up that week, plan around it. You dont see me planning a vacation at the same place you attend your star wars conventions.

Woodsy sounds like he knows alot about what is going on, and I am on the same page as he is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winniboater81 For This Useful Post: