View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #71
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Arch...

The City of Laconia recoups its cost thru vendor fees and site permits. Bike Week usually costs Laconia nothing, and in a few years the city actually had a surplus of $20,000 or so. The NHSP are paid for by the State of NH. I would be interested to see the cost of all the NHSP presence!

Spider...

Maybe you should come attend a bike week before formulating an opinion. Not being a jerk, but check it out first. When you walk down the strip on Lakeside Ave and there are 2 cops every 100 - 150' or so its a bit excessive. When I walk from my place to the Lobster Pound and count 7 NHSP cruisers just hanging out and shooting the sh*t... and not a crowd to be seen! There is a problem!!

I dont know how much you follow the news up here, but last year Bruton Smith the owner of NHIS told the town of Loudon to go pound sand (essentially) when they submitted the police bill for one of the races! He found it to be VERY EXCESSIVE and refused to pay. They worked a deal out of some sort.

http://www.thenascarinsiders.com/201...-bruton-smith/

Bike Week has 1/5th the number of people in the Weirs than the 100,000 at NHIS, yet at any given time has a much greater cost in Police presence! To address your concerns about drinking and driving (or walking) it all boils down to individual responsibility! We have strictly enforced DWI laws... I am in no way advocating thier repeal.

If you make it fun the crowds will come back! If you dont and you continue with an oppresive police presence then they will go elsewhere!

Woodsy
My opinion on this is that if I was walking down the boardwalk at weirs beach on the fourth of July with and open beer and drinking it I would be arrested. Why should it be OK for someone to do that just because it is bike week? I do not need to attend a bike week to form that opinion. If they want to pass a law allowing open containers, loud exhausts, and women flashing on a certain street(s) or certain town(s) then they would have to be for the whole year not just one week. I think most of us would agree that it would not be a good idea.