Thread: Lyons Den
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 06:00 AM   #22
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
The system needs to make it illogical to give up a job because it would end up costing you more. I was on unemployment for a couple of weeks before taking a job in retail. I made more on unemployment, and regreted not waiting a little longer before pulling the trigger on a job.
I agree. I think some sort of limited transitional support should be considered. Many jobs offer a raise after 6 months of good work. Government assistance could make up the difference between a full time job and what they were getting from the government for up to a year (?) or whenever their earnings match their previous government support.

On the other hand, previous policy experience is that when support is terminated, most people manage to find work and in the end are better off. Assistance should be temporary, not a way of life and excuse not to work. Sadly compassionate support of those without a job can prevent them from getting the job experiences and work skills they need (showing up on time, proper grooming, good attitude, etc).
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote